Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Potaytoes Pototos

When I first started reading this book, I thought it was a refreshing change from McGonical, who I thought was so far gone from reality it's not funny. But the more I listen to the class discussions and the more I read of You Are Not A Gadget, the more I dislike it and the author. I know think the only thing I like about him is the fact that he invented the term virtual reality. And maybe his weird instrument that he plays, but I now think he's the type that sat at home and thought, "Hmmm, what's some weird instrument I can play to make people think I'm weird." It's forced in my opinion. He's smarter than I and he thinks he smarter than most, and I don't like people like that. DOn't get me started on Ted Nelsen.

But seriously, I really did start out liking this book and somewhere in section 4 I started shifting away. It may have had something to do with his Wikipedia rant. He seems to be sticking up for the layman while at the same time insulting them. That makes him a rare individual to use those skills simultaneously. I can't tell if he's making fun of or advocating for sites like Thinkquest, as he himself states in the book that websites like it haven't been updated or edited since about the same time Wikipedia came out. Although I do sort of admit that it has made us as the consumers sort of lazy.

I also think he dislikes the open software for reasons that don't make sense to me. He says that it will hamper open communications between scientists and mathematicians and the public at large, which, surely they can conceive of another delivery method? I'll admit that at this point I may not be smart enough to follow what he says.


No comments:

Post a Comment