Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Can I Please Use Mickey Mouse

I think I have been thinking about this way too much because even as I type that title, I'm thinking there has got to be some Disney employee sitting somewhere flagging my post the future possibility of being sued. Moving on, something clicked in my brain this evening as I was preparing to make this current post and it was something Dr. Lackaff said in class.

I don't remember who initially said it, though I am sure we were all thinking it, but it is very true that this is dense writing. It's very drab and will put you to sleep should you need help though the information is actually interesting. Lackaff was sort of making the point that in some ways, it's an even better read than McTheWorldRevolvesAroundMe, though written from a slightly different point of view. And I disagreed with him because it's just so dense. But then tonight as I was glancing over the material it clicked that yes, he's actually right. Though I do think the author is assuming the audience is reading it for a different reason than the above mentioned author. It is very straight forward and he doesn't beat around the bush. 

And I actually enjoyed todays class discussion and wished we could have continued. I have always been interested in copyright in the media and even took a law class regarding this very topic. I just think it's interesting to note that anytime in the past when legislation was due to expire regarding something of importance to someone or some company with money (see title) could swoop in and get the laws changed. (Research and look up the history of Mickey Mouse and the copyright involved.)

And while we were talking about digital music, it can also cover many things. Pirating movies, music, games and even video. Do you ever see in the near future, or at least in our lifetime, the issue of the internet and digital media working itself out? They told us at my last job of a women who owned a German restaurant. To add to the ambiance, she purchased a CD of German music to play in the background. A representative from the distributor happened to be eating there and asked management to see the paperwork allowing the use of such music. Being that she didn't have it, she was fined, and I don't remember the amount, but it was well over $20,000. How crazy is that and why is that fair? Shouldn't there be some sort of warning clause? Or even an example clause instead of using them as examples? It doesn't seem fair. And as Benkler even states in his book, if it continues, it "will lead to substantial redistribution of power and money..." 

No comments:

Post a Comment